JCSS Twitter Feeds
Most Viewed Articles
Dear Jackson County Students, Parents, and Stakeholders
The summer is drawing to an end for our students and teachers. As we look forward to kicking off the 2014-2015 school year, we would first like to thank you for a great 2013-2014. Our students continued to show gains in student achievement as reflected in our CRCT and EOCT results this spring. There were more students taking Advanced Placement Courses, and they performed at higher rates than in years past. We had a record number of students excelling in extra-curricular activities including academic, athletic, fine arts, and CTAE competitions. Most excitingly, Jackson County’s 2013-2014 graduates earned over $2.6 million dollars in scholarship funds! As we closed out the 2013-2014 school year, leadership was forced to make some difficult decisions related to budget alignment. We are pleased to share that our work is paying off and Jackson County Schools closed the year with approximately $1.9 million as a fund balance and is on track to achieve a $9 million fund balance (as recommended by state budgeting division) within 3 years. Our schools and community continue to grow in size and PRIDE! As a stakeholder and community investor, you might be interested to know a few facts from the 2013-2014 school year:
- Our enrollment as we closed the school year was 7,295
- Our busses traveled 1,736,906 miles last year
- Our school nutrition program served 1,305,818 meals
- Our operating budget was $62,298,000
- Please note that there will be a change to accessing Jackson County Schools for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Each school has been equipped with a security/surveillance system that limits entry into the buildings.
- We will gradually phase-in use with full implementation complete Monday, August 18th.
When approaching the front door of our schools, you will see a device similar to the one in the picture.
A visitor will need to press the silver button and look into the camera lens.
Once acknowledged, the visitor will be asked to do the following:
- State name
- Provide reason for visit
- Show identification
Once given access to the office/inner vestibule of the school, the visitor will be given a visitor id and allowed to proceed to his/her destination as appropriate.