The Jackson County Board of Education will hold two public hearings, one at 6:00 P.M. on September 10, 2015 at the Jackson County Board of Education Central Office at 1660 Winder Highway, Jefferson, Georgia and the second at 6:30 P.M. on September 14, 2015 at the West Jackson Elementary School cafeteria, 391 East Jefferson Street, Hoschton, Georgia. The purpose of the hearings will be to allow a full discussion of the Superintendent’s recommendation to close West Jackson Primary School and build a new school on site to alleviate overcrowding at West Jackson Middle School as described below.
If the recommendation is approved, the facility located at the West Jackson Primary School will be demolished to allow for future construction of a new middle school. The student population at West Jackson Primary School has been absorbed into the newly expanded West Jackson Intermediate School (now known as West Jackson Elementary School). The size of the combined West Jackson Primary and West Jackson Intermediate School is currently 770 students. West Jackson Elementary School can accommodate up to 1400 students. In order to address the overcrowding at West Jackson Middle School, it is proposed to erect a new middle school on the west side. The proposed construction will consist of a middle school that will accommodate 775 students with the potential to expand the school to accommodate 1,000 students. The construction project is contemplated in order to complete these moves.
The board of education has determined the future of the property on which West Jackson Primary School is located. The facility, minus the gymnasium, will be demolished to allow for the construction of a new west side middle school.
Dear Parents, Students, Teachers, and the entire Jackson County Family!
The 2015-2016 school year is quickly approaching, and there is tremendous energy and excitement! There are many outstanding accomplishments to celebrate and sensational plans to execute! We’re very proud of the 2015 graduates and wish them the very best as they begin the next chapters of their lives across our great nation as military service leaders, college freshmen, and career ready candidates! The upcoming school year promises to be the best in years. Thanks to commitment of teachers, leaders, and students, our district has regained financial stability and finished the 2015 school year with the highest fund balance ($4.3 million) since 2009! Our economy and tax digest are on the rebound and will allow our students to experience smaller classes and next generation learning environments. Some changes our students will see:
- East Jackson Comprehensive High School will serve as a Regional Center for UNG (University of North Georgia) where all Jackson County students can access expanded dual enrollment opportunities. A new welding lab will open at EJCHS this year, as well!
- Foothills Charter High School, a drop out recovery high school, will share space at EJCHS. Students who may have given up too soon have a second chance for a high school diploma.
- West Jackson Intermediate School is now West Jackson Elementary. The addition of a two story classroom wing with innovative collaborative spaces provides a K-5 school configuration for the Braselton and Hoschton Communities. The former West Jackson Primary School will be converted to a middle school in the next couple of years!
- Innovative model classrooms across the district will INSPIRE and engage students with new classroom configurations and next generation technology.
- Robotics in Action! Jackson County was awarded a competitive Math/Science Partnership Grant. Teachers and leaders spent time this summer working with UGA leaders to build and program robots so teachers can facilitate science and technology learning in the classroom. Visits to local manufacturing companies provided teachers insights on connecting the outside world into the classroom!
- School start and end times have been slightly adjusted to accommodate improved transportation service. Students should experience shorter route times and less crowded buses.
- Maysville Elementary School welcomes Dr. Michele Archibald as their principal and Ms. Rebecca Grogan as their new assistant principal. Great things are in store for the students and community.
- South Jackson Elementary School welcomes back Ms. Resa Brooksher as the principal as Mr. Todd Nickelsen assumes a district leadership role. Ms. Brooksher served SJES for 18 years before transferring to North Jackson to serve as principal.
- Ms. Linda Bell will lead North Jackson Elementary School, where she is excited about the opportunities for students and families as she takes the reins!
Read more: Letter to the Community